Sunday, March 25, 2012

Watches: Tech Trendy or Obsolete?

Ten years ago you wouldn't leave home without a watch, and today, as you read this, if you look at your wrist at this very moment- do you even have a watch on?


In this post-turn of the century, who needs one? When you always have your mobile phone on you. The allure the mobile phone's portability and accessibility isn't lost on the average pedestrian. The big future is here- walking the downtown streets loaded and wireless.


But I wouldn't count out wristwatches just yet, just like sunglasess, watches are also poised for a tech overhaul. Though watches have moved beyond their practical purpose of telling time and have now gone into various tech tangents of functionality such as having built-in altimeters, thermometers and barometers. Some watches can even function as an Mp3 player, USB or even a mobile messaging device. So don't just count out the timepiece just yet, its on the verge of being 'retro fashion' or suprisingly fashion forward.

3 comments:

  1. You know what I have never thought about it. I have always worn a watch, but I would look at it maybe just once or twice a day. Whenever I need to know what time it is, I would have to look at my cellphone or at the computer screen. That reminds me, another obsolete gadget would be alarm clocks. I just asked my colleague next to me if he still uses one and he said no, after looking at me quite insanely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watches will never be obsolete. Watches are not just simple items to tell time but it is a fashion accessory. Till now I always love a man who has a classy wristwatch matching a gorgeous suit – sooo sexy! Watches make a person look more elegant and dignified. Keep in mind that it not just a gadget, but a part of fashion. Try wearing a cellphone or a laptop and see how good it’ll look.

      Delete
  2. Watches are certainly relics of the past. I haven't worn one for years and I've survived. I definitely agree that with computers and cellphones, watches are definitely obsolete. Watches may still be useful for those who live in remote places where cellphones are not that popular, but for those in urban areas, watches are definitely out. They should really revolutionize watches so that it can be used for other things. I am imagining a future where watches are just plain gadgets which does a variety of things, except tell time.

    ReplyDelete